Granite for the State Capitol
In the 1880’s, the arrival of the railroad helped develop western Williamson county and contributed to the construction of a new state capitol. When quarried limestone proved deficient for the new statehouse, contractors chose granite from Burnet county outcroppings. The Austin and Northwestern Railroad, which ran through this area and established Brueggerhoff (Cedar Park) and Leander, extended to the granite mountain quarry site in 1885. More than 4,000 flatcars passed through here in 1886-1887, carrying the large blocks of pink granite to Austin. Three dozen blocks that tumbled off the tracks were left in the creek bed, since the state obtained its building stone free of charge. The Texas State Capitol was completed in 1888.